In the Jordan kitchen, we always welcome the fall harvest season with our first basket of mission and kadota figs from the estate garden. One of our most-popular harvest lunch staples, Jordan’s Garden Fig Salad with Mixed Greens, Grilled Corn and Haricots Verts is our featured Chardonnay recipe for the 2011 fall season. It’s highlighted on the culinary section of our website and will be given to all tour and tasting guests until winter arrives. This salad is the perfect appetizer or light entrée for your goodbye-to-summer meal.
Recipe: Garden Fig Salad with Greens, Grilled Corn and Haricots Verts
Summary: Fresh figs and haricots verts from our garden always signal the arrival of fall. This light, healthy salad celebrates the season with crisp, sweet flavors that pair wonderfully with Chardonnay.
- ¼ cup aged sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 shallot, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- Freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste
- 1 cup Jordan Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 ears of corn, shucked and silks removed
- 2 tablespoons Aleppo crushed peppers
- 18 assorted figs (Black mission, candy stripe or kadota)
- 1 cup haricots verts or romano beans stringed
- ½ cup hazelnuts, roasted skinned and crushed
- 8 cups baby arugula, stemmed and rinsed
- 1 cup frisée trimmed of most green
- To make the dressing, combine sherry vinegar, mustard, thyme, shallot, salt and pepper in a blender at medium speed. While blending, slowly drizzle ¾ cup Jordan Extra Virgin Olive Oil until emulsified. Refrigerate and keep for up to one week.
- In a nonreactive bowl, toss ears of corn with remaining Jordan Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Aleppo pepper and salt. Grill corn on medium high heat until it begins to brown. Let the corn cool to touch, then slice kernels off of the cob and set aside.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and prepare an ice bath. While water is coming to a boil, quarter figs and set aside. Blanch beans in boiling water until slightly tender, about 3 minutes. Shock beans in ice water and drain.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Add salad dressing to taste and gently toss. Serve immediately.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4