In honor of its 40th anniversary in 2012, Jordan Vineyard & Winery has created the 4on4 Art Competition, a four-city initiative in Miami, New York, Los Angeles and Dallas that challenges local artists to create a commemorative work of art that blends the elegance of Jordan wines with the flavor of each city. 4on4 Los Angeles will be hosted in conjunction with LACE (Los Angeles Contemporary Exhibitions).
4on4 Los Angeles Call for Artists: Artists in four cities celebrating four decades of Jordan wine in their community.
- Deadline for Los Angeles submissions: April 1, 2012
- Must be an artist living and working in Los Angeles, Orange, Ventura, San Bernardino or Riverside counties
Grand Award: $5,000 and the opportunity to be featured in an art exhibition, publicity campaigns and Jordan 40th anniversary commemorative gifts. The winning work will be transformed into a limited-edition piece for Jordan’s loyal customers across Southern California.
First Runner-up: $2,000 and the opportunity to be featured in an art exhibition and post-event publicity.
Second Runner-up: $1,000 and the opportunity to be featured in an art exhibition and post-event publicity.
Artists and Jordan Vineyard & Winery: Since 1976, the Jordan family has been heralded for its elegant wines, culinary excellence and gracious hospitality. Over the years, the Jordans have commissioned artists to capture the beauty of the winery chateau through the seasons – its ivy-draped façade, window boxes sprouting spring flowers, the antique clock above a sweeping balcony. To celebrate its 40th anniversary in 2012, Jordan Vineyard & Winery is bringing wine country to Los Angeles artists in their own backyard, challenging these talented professionals to create a commemorative work of art that combines the essence of Jordan with Los Angeles’ distinct flavors of culture, food and design.
A panel of expert judges–A panel of expert judges—including Carol Stakenas, director of LACE; noted critic and LA Canvas art editor Shana Nys Dambrot; Kat Odell, editor of LA Eater; David Gadd, managing editor of The Tasting Panel; renowned restaurateur Piero Selvaggio of Valentino Restaurant Group; Chef Joseph Miller of Joe’s Restaurant; and Timothy Williams, artist and gallerist at Black Cat Gallery—will select the top three works of art that meet the competition criteria. The top works will be selected to participate in a public exhibition presented by LACE at Hadid Gallery in West Hollywood on April 11. (RSVP is required on eventbrite.) The grand award ($5,000), first runner-up ($2,000) and second runner-up ($1,000) winners will be announced at this event and also showcased at a private Jordan Winery event in Los Angeles later that month. In addition to cash prizes and exhibition exposure, artists will be featured in multiple publicity campaigns. The winning work of art will be transformed into a limited-edition piece for Jordan’s Southern California customers.
- Applications must live and work in Los Angeles, Orange, Ventura, San Bernardino or Riverside counties.
- Applicants must incorporate an element of Jordan Winery in their artwork. See “ELEMENT DOWNLOADS” below for a list of elements and download instructions
- Applicants must incorporate an element of their local community in their artwork, such as Los Angeles architecture, landscapes or food culture.
- Original artwork must be in a format that is reproducible in lithograph, such as paintings or drawings.
- Winning artists agree to sign up to 200 limited-edition lithographs of their artwork in Los Angeles at a mutually agreed upon date in summer or fall 2012.
- Winning artwork becomes the property of Jordan Winery for display at the chateau and/or donation to a charity auction to be determined.
- Applicants should submit ONE high-resolution image (jpeg) of artwork via email to 4on4LosAngeles@jordanwinery.com (maximum size: 10 MB).
- In the body of your email, please include details including your first and last name, title of work, year, media and dimensions. Please also include your daytime phone number, your mailing address and your email address.
- Please also include a brief statement (200 words) about your artwork and how it fits within the theme of the competition.
- Minimum size of final entry: 18 x 24 inches
- For additional publicity, entrants may also upload a copy of their submission to the 4on4 Art Competition Flickr page. For Flickr upload instructions, click here.
Artists must incorporate an artistic element from Jordan wine into their original artwork. Recreation of the Jordan name should be as close as possible to the original, while artistic concepts inspired by the Jordan chateau and Jordan wine label are welcomed. Element options include:
For questions about Los Angeles’ 4on4 Art Competition, please contact Susan von Seggern by email or call 213-840-0077.