In honor of its 40th anniversary in 2012, Jordan Vineyard & Winery has created the 4 on 4 Art Competition, a four-city initiative that challenges local artists to create a commemorative work of art that blends the elegance of Jordan wines with the flavor of each city. The competition kicks off January 5 with the 4 on 4 Miami call for entries, organized by Bakehouse Art Complex.
Call for Artists: 4 on 4 Art Competition: Artists in four cities celebrating four decades of Jordan wine in their community. The four cities include: Miami, New York, Los Angeles & Dallas.
- Deadline for Miami submissions: March 10, 2012
- Must be an artist living and working in Broward, Miami-Dade or Monroe county
Grand Award: $5,000 and the opportunity to be featured in two art exhibitions, publicity campaigns and Jordan 40th anniversary commemorative gifts. The winning work will be transformed into a limited-edition piece which will be distributed to Jordan’s loyal customers across South Florida.
First Runner-up: $2,000 and the opportunity to be featured in two art exhibitions and post-event publicity.
Second Runner-up: $1,000 and the opportunity to be featured in two art exhibitions and post-event publicity.
Artists and Jordan Vineyard & Winery: Since 1976, the Jordan family has been heralded for its elegant wines, culinary excellence and gracious hospitality. Over the years, the Jordans have commissioned artists to capture the beauty of the winery chateau through the seasons – its ivy-draped façade, window boxes sprouting spring flowers, the antique clock above a sweeping balcony. To celebrate its 40th anniversary in 2012, Jordan Vineyard & Winery is bringing wine country to Miami artists in their own backyard, challenging these talented professionals to create a commemorative work of art that combines the elegant art of Jordan wine with Miami’s distinct flavors of wine, food and design.
A panel of expert judges—including Roxanne Vargas, co-anchor of NBC Miami’s “Live Miami;” Nina Johnson, director at Gallery Diet; Susanne Birbragher, associate publisher of ArtNexus; and Chef Michael Schwartz, proprietor of Michael’s Genuine Food & Drink—will select the top three works of art that meet the competition criteria. Top three winners receive cash prize awards: a grand award ($5,000), first runner-up ($2,000) and second runner-up ($1,000). A top 40 will be selected to participate in a public exhibition at the Bakehouse Art Complex (BAC) on March 29, 2012. From there, the judges will select their top ten artworks that will be shown at a private, VIP event at the Soho House on Miami Beach on April 2, 2012, where the grand prize, first runner-up and second runner-up winners will be announced.
- Applicants must incorporate an element of Jordan Winery in their artwork. For details, see “Element Downloads” below.
- Applicants must incorporate an element of their local community in their artwork, such as Miami architecture, landscapes or food culture.
- Original artwork must be in a format that is reproducible in lithograph, such as paintings or drawings.
- Winning artists agree to sign up to 200 limited-edition lithographs of their artwork in South Florida at a mutually agreed upon date in summer or fall 2012.
- Winning artwork becomes the property of Jordan Winery for display at the chateau and/or donation to a charity auction to be determined.
- Applicants should submit a CD (jpeg) of a high-resolution image of proposed artwork. Please include artist name, title of work, year, media and dimensions.
- There is a limit of ONE image per artist.
- Please also include a brief statement about your artwork and how it fits within the theme of the competition.
- Artists who cannot submit a CD via mail, may upload high-resolution images (300 dpi, 8×10 minimum) to the 4on4 Art Competition Flickr page using submission guidelines. Before uploading a file, entrants must view our Flickr upload instructions and guidelines. Entrants who use Flickr must still email their contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure notifications occur.
- If selected for the top 40 exhibition, artwork will need to arrive at the BAC no later than March 20, 2012, at 5:00 p.m. EST. Artwork delivery is the responsibility of the artist. All work must be ready to hang and exhibition ready.
Submissions must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. EST on March 10, 2012.
CD submissions must be mailed to:
4 on 4, Bakehouse Art Complex, 561 NW 32nd Street, Miami, FL 33127
Electronic submissions must be uploaded to the 4 on 4 Flickr account, as noted above.
Artists must incorporate an artistic element from Jordan wine into their original artwork. Recreation of the Jordan name should be as close as possible to the original, while artistic concepts inspired by the Jordan chateau and Jordan wine label are welcomed. Element options include:
For questions about Miami’s 4 on 4 Art Competition, please contact Lauren Wagner, Director of Exhibitions for Bakehouse Art Complex, by 305.576.2828 or email.